FoVea Travel and Networking Award
Females of Vision et al. (FoVea) is excited to announce its 5th round of the FoVea Travel and Networking Award. Ten awards will be funded by the National Science Foundation and two awards will be funded by the journal Visual Cognition. The FoVea Travel and Networking Award includes up to $500 to cover costs for attending the 2021 Virtual Vision Science Society (VSS) meeting. Funds can be used to cover costs involved in attending the 2021 VSS meeting, including membership fees and conference registration fees. Some of the Travel and Networking Award funds can also be used for childcare costs.
Submissions are due on Friday, February 26, 2021
The FoVea Travel and Networking Award is open to female members of the Vision Science Society (VSS) in pre-doctoral, post-doctoral, pre-tenure faculty, or research scientist positions. Women, transgender, and intersex individuals are all welcome and encouraged to apply. FoVea is working toward advancing the success of all female vision scientists and strives to be inclusive to members of all races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and persons with disabilities.
FoVea created this award as part of its mission to advance the visibility, impact, and success of women in vision science. A report from Cooper and Radonjic (2016) indicated that in 2015, the ratio of women to men in VSS was near equal at the pre-doctoral level (1:1.13), but decreased as career stage increased. The decline is symptomatic of forces that impede the professional development of female vision scientists. A key aspect of professional development is building a professional network to support scientific pursuits and to provide mentorship at critical junctions in one’s academic career. The FoVea Travel and Networking Award will help female vision scientists build their professional network by encouraging them to meet with two Networking Targets at the VSS meeting to discuss their research and consider potential for collaboration. The Networking Targets can be of any gender.
The goals of the FoVea Travel and Networking Award are to:
1. Increase the visibility of women by giving them the opportunity to meet and have a one-on-one discussion with a senior scientists at the meeting.
2. Increase the productivity of women by potentially stimulating collaborative research with the Networking Targets.
3. Increase the networking skills of women, both those who apply for, and win the awards, and those who peruse the written reports of awardees on the FoVea website (www.foveavision.org).
4. Increase the accessibility of VSS for excellent female vision scientists.
5. Increase the number of awards female vision scientists can list on their CVs, thereby enhancing their professional profile.
Materials to be submitted by the applicant:
The following materials should be combined in a single PDF and uploaded through the “Submit Application” link .
- A proposal describing the applicant’s plan to network with two senior scientist during the VSS 2020 meeting (750 word limit). The plan should include an explanation for why the applicant chose these particular Networking Targets, a plan for what topics she will discuss with her Networking Targets during the meeting, and a statement of how she hopes that forging a relationship with the Networking Targets will help advance her research/career agenda.
- A statement of agreement from the senior scientists named as the Networking Targets. Networking Targets can be of any gender. This is not a letter of recommendation, and should not elaborate on the merits of the applicant. The statement should simply say the following:
“I agree to serve as a Networking Target for [name of applicant], and will meet with them during VSS 2021.”
Networking Targets can provide this statement in an email to the applicant or, if they prefer, written on letterhead. Statements of agreement should be included in the single PDF of application materials submitted by the applicant.
- A budget indicating how funds will be spent if awarded. This does not have to be detailed, but should show the approximate amount requested for childcare separate from the approximate amount requested for VSS membership fees and conference registration fees. Childcare costs can consist of the cost of daycare or special programs, etc. (This is a non-exhaustive list; these funds are less restricted.)
Awardees will agree to write a report on their networking methods and outcomes after the conference by July 1, 2021. FoVea will post these reports on its website within 9 months of the conference.
Materials to be submitted by the applicant’s advisor, research supervisor, or department head:
1. A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s advisor, research supervisor, or department head. This letter should be submitted by the letter writer through the “Submit Recommendation” link.
ELIGIBILITY: An applicant must be a female vision scientist who is a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, research scientist (non-tenure track), or junior faculty member (pre-tenure). Women, transgender, and intersex individuals are all welcome and encouraged to apply.
REVIEW PROCESS: Applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of three members of the VSS community with Karen Schloss as Chair. Awards will be announced in March.
REIMBURSEMENT: After the conference, reimbursement is typically handled quickly, up to the $500 limit. Original receipts are required. (Note that childcare receipts only can be signed notes.) For non-US applicants, a tax may be deducted from the travel award, as per US regulations.
QUESTIONS can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FoVea Committee: Diane Beck, Mary Peterson, Charisse Pickron, Karen Schloss, and Allison Sekuler